This Page

has been moved to new address

Jazzing Up Veggies

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Vegan Planet: Jazzing Up Veggies

Thursday, January 24, 2008

 

Jazzing Up Veggies

One of the questions I’m asked most frequently is how to make vegetables more interesting, especially when there are resistant family members. Here are a few of my favorite tips:

• Try different cooking methods. If you’re used to steaming asparagus, for example, try roasting it instead. Simply arrange trimmed asparagus spears on a baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast at 425 degrees until tender and just starting to brown, about 8 minutes (depending on the thickness of the asparagus).
• Liven up veggies, salads (and grain and noodle dishes, too!) by topping them with chopped toasted nuts or seeds to add flavor, crunch, and protein. Experiment new dressings, sauces, and condiments to perk up your meals.
• Use fresh herbs to make everyday dishes extraordinary.

I’ll share more tips on another post. In the meantime, do you have any favorite tips or success stories that you’d like to share?

Labels: , , ,


Comments:
I recently starting roasting a variety of vegetables. It is a very nice taste. The roasting gives the vegetables a unique flavor which only roasting provides. I also wanted to tell you I tryed your artichoke with capers and garlic recipe. It was very good. That was my first taste of artichokes which I now look forward to again.
thank you

Gnewvegan
http://www.invitationfrom-gnewvegan.blogspot.com/
 
I totally agree about the unique and amazing flavor roasting gives to vegetables -- it has become my favorite way to enjoy many vegetables.

I'm glad you liked the artichoke recipe. Cooked and quartered artichoke hearts make a great addition to salads, as well.
 
Hi Robin! Just discovered your blog. Looks great so far! The new cookbook sounds awesome. We're definitely getting a good bit of use out of Quick Fix...
 
YAY ROBIN I am glad that you are blogging! I love you're books, and now I am loving your blog! All the best!
 
This comment has been removed by the author.
 
Yes, roasting does indeed add a flavor which has led me to try vegetables I have not had before. You can be creative with vegetables. :) Have you roasted artichokes?
 
I have roasted (and grilled) fresh baby artichokes when I can find them. They take a little extra time (up to an hour) but are well worth it. Like other roasted veggies, they become almost sweet and a little crisp. I usually bake them at 400 degrees and unlike other veggies that just get a drizzle of olive oil and salt and pepper, I also add a splash of white wine and cover them for the first 30 minutes, then uncover them for another 20 minutes or until they are soft and a littly crispy at the edges.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]