This Page

has been moved to new address

How Green Was My Curry?

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Vegan Planet: How Green Was My Curry?

Thursday, August 27, 2009

 

How Green Was My Curry?


You know you have a great friend when she offers to drive over four hours (each way) to stay at your house and take care of your animals, so you can get away for a few days. When that same friend also brings you a couple cans of the best green curry sauce this side of Thailand, you wish you could clone her.

Incredible but true, my friend Sam did both of these amazing things recently. I came home to an immaculate house, three spoiled but happy cats, and 16 well-fed ducks. Now about that green curry…

I love a good Thai green curry, but because it’s made with fresh and hard-to-find (for me, anyway) ingredients and with no Thai restaurant nearby, I rarely have a chance to enjoy it. Moreover, I had never found a commercial green curry sauce that had a “wow” effect, until Sam turned me onto a brand she found in Guam — Aroy-D. Although I’ve seen it online ($5.99 shipping for a $2 can of sauce?), neither of us have been able to find it at our regional Asian markets, so the last time Sam went to Guam, she brought home a case of the stuff. And, generous soul that she is, she gave me a couple of cans from her private stash. That stuff is fantastic — as good as any I’ve had in a Thai restaurant. And it's makes a quick and easy meal that tastes like it took forever to prepare.

For the dish you see in the top photo, I stir-fried extra-firm tofu with sliced onion, bok choy, green peas, and a red chile. Once everything was cooked, I simply added the green curry sauce and simmered it for a few minutes, then served it over some brown rice. Mmmm. Thanks again, Sam!

Labels:


Comments:
They have that at the Asian market over here. If you have a "fan mail" address, I would love to send to you some. Your cookbooks are my ABSOLUTE favorite and sending a few cans of arroyo-d would be the least I can do. I was on the fence about being vegan until I picked up Vegan Planet...then there was NO turning back! :P
 
mmm, i love curry in general but i rarely use green curry. sounds amazing! you are a lucky girl.
 
That looks great; green curry is my favorite! (And yes, that's a wonderful friend you have there!)
 
The fat and sodium content of this curry seems quite high - so even with lots of veggies and brown rice it might not be the best dish for you. Too bad - I love curry!!
 
Haley: Thanks for your nice comments about my books and your generous offer on the curry (although I'd insist on reimbursing you for it!)

VeggieVixen: I don't have green curry often either, so this was a special treat.

Desdemona: You're right, great curry, and great friend!
 
Thanks for your info. I really enjoy this post.

green world
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]