This Page

has been moved to new address

Guacamame

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Vegan Planet: Guacamame

Friday, September 24, 2010

 

Guacamame


There was a bag of rice and bean chips in the pantry just waiting to be devoured, so I thought I’d whip up some guacamole to try them out.

With only one very small avocado in the house and some cooked edamame in the fridge, it seemed clear that fate had dictated a batch of Guacamame, a recipe from my 2005 cookbook, Carb-Conscious Vegetarian. I’ve included the recipe below, although I left out the onion and at the last minute I added about 1/4 cup of vegan sour cream to make it creamier. (It’s good either way.) 

I served the Guacamame with the chips (which were yummy, by the way, but kind of fragile) and also some lightly steamed broccoli, and sweet little grape tomatoes.  It made a delicious and fun lunch! 

Guacamame
Creamy, green, and delicious, this dip is lower in carbs and higher in protein than your standard guacamole. Using protein-rich edamame to replace some of the avocado makes it lower in fat, too. Garnish with sliced grape tomatoes, sliced pitted black olives, or chopped cilantro.

1 cup cooked edamame
1 small ripe avocado, peeled and pitted
1/4 cup chopped green chiles (I used jarred chopped jalapeños)
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1 tablespoon minced onion (optional)
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Sliced raw vegetables, for serving

In a food processor, combine the edamame, avocado, chiles, and lime juice. Process until smooth. Add the onion (if using), garlic, cumin, and salt and pepper to taste, and pulse to blend, leaving some texture. Transfer to a serving bowl and serve with the raw vegetables.

Note: For a creamier version, add 1/4 to 1/3 cup of vegan sour cream and process until smooth. For a chunkier version, mash the ingredients together in a bowl instead of using a food processor.

Labels: ,


Comments:
This sounds amazing!
 
Very creative!!!
 
sometimes I make my own guacmole, I then fill up the plate with fresh veggies and fruit, then I sit in my recliner and enjoy this great feast watching the television....I love it and I love this this post.
 
Sounds great! Wanted to let you know I made the cutlets on the cheap last night and I felt a little nervous about how they would turn out while I was making them but they turned out awesome!!! I made the cutlets, then dipped them in flour, then plain almond milk, then a breadcrumb spice mix and fried them and served them with the VOTC muchroom gravy. Sooooo good!
 
Thanks, Future Dr. B-S and Aimee!

Millie, that sounds like a great way to relax!

Kim, I'm so glad you enjoyed the VOTC cutlets on the cheap and mushroom gravy. Thanks for letting me know!
 
How creative! I love it!
 
Thanks, Amber!
 
Woah. Must try this!
 
This sounds like such a delicous twist! All of your books are on my Christmas wish list!
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]