This Page

has been moved to new address

Soup Weather

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Vegan Planet: Soup Weather

Friday, December 10, 2010

 

Soup Weather


I don’t know about where you live, but here in Virginia it’s been insanely cold, especially for early December. We usually don’t get this kind of relentless bone-chilling cold until February, so it’s been a daily struggle to stay warm.

One thing that has helped in that department has been an ongoing supply of soups and chili. I had been chopping veggies into pots so often recently that the other day, the unthinkable happened: I ran out of onions and carrots! Since it wasn’t my regular shopping day and there was no way I was going to brave the cold for just a few items, I made a pot of soup out of the dehydrated vegetables you see in the photo above.

We keep on hand a nice supply of dehydrated ingredients along with other pantry ingredients in case of emergency power outages. But it was nice to be able to tap into our pantry stash to make a quick (and easy) pot of soup. If you want to see how the soup turned out (and read more about the dehydrated ingredients), check out Jon’s post on his Vegan Unplugged blog.  (Fun fact: dehydrated chickpeas are ready to eat in just 10 to 15 minutes!)

I hope everyone is managing to stay warm! How long until Spring, anyway?

Labels: ,


Comments:
Plus, dehydrating onions, peppers, celery, etc., is extremely easy and cheap!

Nice photo, btw.

Best, Mark
 
You're so right, Mark! I still haven't been able to find the time to do it myself -- I have a huge dehydrator sitting up in my attic. Hopefully, I can put it to good use next year.
 
Running out to get the carrots and onions would have defeated the whole purpose of the warm soup unless you wanted to be colder to enjoy it more. Glad you opted to stay in and use the dehydrated veggies. They look so vibrant.
 
Definitely, Gigi. It was great to be able to stay indoors AND have a nice hot pot of soup to help keep warm. A win-win!
 
What a great idea to have dehydrated veggies on hand! I think I might start doing that. I'm going to check out the link you had, too.
 
Robin....posted a couple of comments on Vegan Unplugged but no response. I wanted to get the sampler packs from Harmony House but he mentioned the 30 pack and all I could find was a 28 pack which doesn't have the garbanzos. Which one did you guys order and did it change there???? Just curious. I think it would be great for our truck camper and we are going out in Jan. and Feb. to Las Vegas and thought this stuff would work!! Eating your Chard and Lentil sauce tonite over some previous pasta! Love that one since I found some Italian peeled tomatoes at World Market!!!!!!
 
Yes, Blessed Mamma,they really do come in handy - and they don't take up much space.

Nancy, Glad you enjoyed the Lentils and Chard with Pasta.
We got the "Super Deluxe Sampler" from Harmony House. Jon is more specifically answering your questions on the Vegan Unplugged blog. Your trip sounds like fun!
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]